Here are a few things to keep in mind while driving in groups.
- Drives should consume less than a tank of gas; even for those thirsty ///M models. However, please start every drive with a full tank of gas.
- Smaller groups are easier to keep together. Groups larger than 10 - 12 start to become problematic keeping everyone together. So, we usually have multiple groups for large numbers.
- We use FRS radios to stay in touch during drives. At least the leader and the sweeper should have good radios and know the route. We typically use channels 2 or 3 with a sub-channel. (eg. 2.3, 3.1, ...)
- Although GPS devices are not required, they ARE a good idea.
- Headlights on for safety.
- If you are new to driving in groups, we want you up front as close to the leader as possible.
- We don't recommend it, but, if you want to "play" (hanging back and zooming to catch up), please understand that it's disconcerting, especially to newer participants. So, we ask that you follow the sweeper. If you do this, please understand that you are kind of on your own.
- Maintain a safe following distance but try to keep up with the Z in front of you.
- Don't go faster than you are comfortable. Let the leader know if the pace is too fast.
- Leave no one behind! You are responsible for the car behind you. If they disappear from your rear view, alert the leader (via radio) and slow down.
- Don't complete a turn if the Z behind you can't see you make the turn.
- Signal early, signal often. Be courteous to other drivers.
- Allow interlopers. Other vehicles WILL get in between us. That's okay. We will not leave anyone behind.
- Be aware that motorcycles might pass you against double yellow lines and in curves. Let them. They can out-maneuver you and your Z.